Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Spinning Posie

 Pretty Posie's fiber, ready to prepare for spinning

Pretty Posie is a sweet yearling ewe who is out of Wooly Bear and Claire, the dairy ewe.  I just love her history!  She comes from genuine Shetland lines, bringing fineness and softness to her wool along with a very sweet temperament, docile behavior, and mobility (Shetlands move around a lot, which helps them stay healthier than some other breeds of sheep).  She seems to have inherited her sire's hardiness and has been an extremely easy keeper.  Since Shetlands are not a crimpy breed, the crimp clearly comes from Claire, who does have nice crimp. I like crimp in the fiber of other breeds of sheep, as long as the staple length is workable.  Posie's fleece is a nice medium length (and probably a medium grade) and it spins up like a dream!   Claire's genetics also take up dyes beautifully, and I can't wait to see if this is partially true with Posie!  (I've not dyed Wooly Bear's fiber because his fiber is too dark.)  I've had a lot of fun with these two girls...so naturally, I want more! (giggle, giggle)  A fleece that is as soft as this, as pleasant to spin as this, as nice to dye as Claire's is, and wears so comfortably as I predict Posie's yarn will, is definitely a valuable sheep in my flock!

My trusty yarn basket

I frequently find my eyes wandering back to my trusty yarn basket.  If you love working with fiber as much as I do, yarn like this is very appealing to the eye!  This basket follows me everywhere.  It travels with me from one end of the house to the other and from one event to another as we sell yarn at all the events we attend all year.  The sunny yarn in the middle is the last treasured little tidbit of Claire's Marigolds...lucky me to still have it!  This color sold out fast this summer!  The minty green ball is also Claire's yarn, and the watermelon red is Shetland fiber.

 Hope you enjoyed seeing more photos of fiber and yarn.  See you next week!  Oh, wait!  I almost forgot!  Friday we will be at the Sheep and Wool Festival all day, but will be back for market first thing Saturday morning.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment