Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Pot 'o Gold

A beautiful sight after blazing sun and drought!

Sheep grazing is truly a comforting and beautiful sight to a shepherdess, unless of course, there is no grass to graze!  This summer has been the weirdest I've experienced in my lifetime.  It is deeply unsettling when week after week passes and the grass gets no taller.  No matter how happy my day might be, I feel an underlying fear tugging at my subconscious as I walk the land each day.  It's a feeling I cannot shake.  At times like these, I seek out older shepherds who've perhaps lived through times like this.  They shake their heads and tell of other years...how they made it...how they got by...how things have changed...and how things got better in time.  I know we are doing ok.  We have what we need, but barely a blade to spare.  My sheep are fattened and healthy, ready for the cold to come.  Their wool is strong and soft and clean despite the heat and dust.  They protest at times, thinking I forgot to rotate them.  I have to vamp up my shepherding skills to convince them that yes, this is today's pasture...don't worry...there's good eating in there!  The water is cool and fresh, ready for them, and I frequently see them gathering around it to discuss things amongst themselves.  It's been a weird summer, still hot, still very dry, still with cracked earth and blazing sun.  The rainbow was so refreshing!  The  
rain smelled so good!  Swifty had a ball racing around in the stems of storms past.  The fears don't settle on his mind.  He sails like the wind all around, ever so vigilant of where the sheep are!  In fact, I was shocked I got a picture of him actually looking at me and not the sheep!  This pose of his sure takes me back to 1987 when I snapped a picture of my other Border Collie, Shimmer...in exactly the same pose...with exactly the same ear carriage.  Despite the worries of the drought, happy thoughts persist!  Swifty and Shimmer...two dogs so far apart in years, yet so close in sameness!

Perhaps the pot 'o gold is not gold coins afterall, but rather happy thoughts and memories that persist in our hearts to carry us through fearful times!  I'm so glad I saw this rainbow!  Hope you enjoyed it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment