Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

More about Sheep Festival..I almost forgot!

I almost forgot to mention to all of you something special that we have here at our Sheep and Wool Festival...sheep cheese!  YUM!!!

You know, I really cannot see the sense in spending millions of dollars shipping cheese across oceans when that same cheese can be lovingly produced in our backyards!  All that shipping and gasoline is disrupting relations in countries, polluting the oceans, and robbing people of jobs.  The countries that produce the most sheep cheeses are very small,  have very limited resources, with rapidly growing populations of humans.  It is absurd to think that such a small, pressurized region of the world can supply the world with sheep cheese!  It is my understanding that the folks in those regions are feeling so much pressure and cannot keep the ball rolling without collapsing, that they are encouraging sheep dairies to start up in other regions of the world.  There is plenty of work for everyone!

Let's not forget something...Americans WANT to WORK, and need JOBS!

SO!  Our festival is very fortunate to have a cooperative of amazingly hard working people who are producing outstanding sheep cheese, AND SWEET BUTTER!  It is outstandingly delicious stuff!  I tried the 'Somerset" cheese, a beautiful smoked cheddar made with 100% sheep's milk.  Good stuff!!!!!!  The milk comes from a wonderful breed of sheep known as mostly 'East Friesians'.  They are a large sheep with long ears that stick out sideways and are very cute.  They have good bone structure, are well sprung, and have very sweet, docile temperaments.  They are mostly white and have a medium grade, long fleece with nice crimp.  My fleeces are a joy to spin and wear, and take up dye so well, I can't stop having fun with them!  And the lambs are calendar picture perfect!

If you'd like to try some of the Wisconsin Sheep Dairy Cooperative's cheeses, you can find them at www.sheepmilk.biz.  And coming up, they'll have sheep's milk yogurt and a new, as of yet unnamed cheese! Try the Shepherdess Butter!  I did, and I want MORE! :)

Oh yeah!  I almost forgot to mention too, that one of the dairy families is making sheep milk soap!  So I bought myself some, and I LOVE it!  Living on a farm (with sheep, giggle, giggle), I am constantly washing my hands every time I come indoors.  So our family goes through A LOT of soap!  I've been using the sheep milk soap all day, every day since I got some at the festival, and I will DEFINITELY be buying more!  My hands are in great shape, despite all the washing.  Try some!  Email that you want to try the soap.  I think I paid $4. for a bar, but I think it was $10. for three bars, plus, I think you'll have to pay for shipping.  I'm not sure, so check into it and get yourself some sheep soap!  And cheese!  And sweet butter!  Then let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment