Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Redwood and Posie Lap Robe

Time is sure flying!  I think this is the busiest summer we've had yet.  Since it has been so busy, I've had to keep my knitting simple.  Here is the latest thing off my needles:
 A Shetland Lap Robe, folded in thirds
Redwood provided the brown fibers, Posie the pretty pink

This very simplistic project was super relaxing to work on.  The yarn comes from a Dailley-descended, purebred Shetland ram named Redwood (out of the Sheepy Hollow flock).  His fiber sold like hot cakes, but I put less of it out now as he is definitely getting old.  Despite his age, and a mane (!), his fiber is still really beatuiful!  These pictures don't show the beauty of the fiber and that's too bad!

Anyhoo, I spun this yarn into a good, strong three ply as lap robes tend to get lots of use here in the north.  Knitting every stitch of every row, it measures 27 inches by 26 inches, knit on size 15 circular needles for an open look.  His fiber has the most wonderful ease in it, so the lap robe can stretch.  As the yarn blooms in time, it will be even more appealing for warmth!

The border is crocheted on a large hook using Posie's yarn.  Posie is a Shetland/Friesian cross ewe who's fiber is soft, and comes in every year at about a five inch long staple.  It's a dream to spin!  After spinning a nice little two ply yarn, I dyed it with drink mix, trying to get a nice variegation in the take up of the dye.  It worked!  The yarn has a lovely mottled affect of color, which is really beautiful with the glistening lighter colors in Redwood's yarn.
Blurry, but pretty border

That is pretty much it for Redwood's yarn...I think it is all sold out now.  This pretty pink of Posie's has not been out in the booth yet, so watch for it in the coming week!  There are only a few skeins in this color.  Also, I have more embroidery yarn bags made up and they are beautiful!  The embroidery bags have sold well.  I would love to hear how the yarn is doing for your embroidery projects!  The new bags made up are like the last ones...three complimentary colors....usually with some dyed wool and some natural colored wool.  More scarf boxes are coming in new colors, too!  So be sure to stop by and see the new stuff!

Finally, we've been having some fantastic sheepy adventures lately, but I cannot say yet what those are!  I'm not sure everything will work out yet, but if/when they do, I'll share right away!  Also, I've spun up the Romney fiber I bought from Yorkshire Rose Farm and it was positively LOVELY!  It was like spinning clouds!  I bought an 8 ounce bag of washed fiber, then handcarded it before spinning.  It's not plied yet, but it will be soon, I'm sure.  I love spinning Romney, but haven't worked on any for quite some time.  It was a treat to spin it again.

Hope all is well with all of you and that you are looking up the season's knitting projects you want to work on!   Time is ticking...time to knit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment