Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

OMG-If you're afraid of bears, don't read this post

Being afraid of bears is no unreasonable fear here in Wisconsin.  Here is the news today:

Bear Attack Story in Wisconsin, USA

Wisconsin's bears have been getting aggressive.  Awhile back, a homeowner near Eau Claire, Wisconsin was having trouble with a bear breaking into her house and walking around (making the floors creak) while her toddler took a nap!  The bear had gotten into the house more than once.  I don't know the outcome of that story, but there are more stories.  Also maybe two summers ago, a bear was killing calves that were housed near a farmhouse...because of bear problems.  That bear killed a calf, then came back for another one later.  It also threatened the owner of the calves, who was living in the house with a family.  These are not normal bear stories in our state.  The bears are on the defense, even when there is not a real threat to them.  I think I know why, but I'll keep my mouth shut.

Our farm is quite a ways south of where this bear attacked, more than a "bear's stroll".

We had a bear in our front yard just before we moved in.  Neighbors have a picture of it.  Then, a couple of years ago, a bear was circling my ram pen about 9 pm one night.  I hid in the barn until I could jump in the truck and try to get it in my headlights.  I think I shook the rest of the night, long after it had run away, and long after I had returned to the house.

And one night, on a late lamb check, I drug along DH.  He is always telling me I'm too scared!  Then, while we were in the barn awhile, we did hear deep growling.  It happened a second time.  We shushed each other and stood very, very still...hair raising on the backs of our necks, wide eyed and staring at each other, trying to make out the growling.  I saw a flash of genuine fear realization cross DH's eyes that night!  But it was only brief...turns out, we were hearing a cow push out a calf next door!

I think my zipline to the barn is gonna have to be a gondola...

PS...Sweetie is in labor.  She'll probably single a ram...still...can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment