Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Monday, May 7, 2012

How'd we get our name?

Our farm name, Wheely Wooly Farm, comes from the fact that I absolutely LOVE spinning fiber.  I've spun a ton of fiber over the years, and I knit it up as fast as I can spin it.  Back when I was a new spinner years ago, I spun fleeces and fiber from all kinds of animals, synthetics, and plants.  I always came back to one sheep, though.  Shetlands!  Their fiber is my absolute favorite to spin.  It's light, easy to draft, and so super soft on my fingers that I could easily spend the whole day spinning, which I often do.  That's where the "Wheely" comes from.

The other reason for the name Wheely Wooly is for the Shetland sheep themselves.  Shetlands are a very woolly (as some would spell it) breed.  Our breed standard demands longish and wavy fiber.  Shetlands have historically been producers of very dense fleeces that drape over their bodies so that after a year's time wearing such a lovely fleece, it hangs over their bodies in such a unique and lovely way!  Shetlands really stand out in their lovely, long fleeces.  They just are very, very woolly.  That's where the word "Wooly" comes from.

Put the two words together, and you have my two favorite things...spinning, and very special, very woolly little sheep!!

Hope you enjoyed learning how our farm got it's name. Coming up, more photos of knitting!  Can't wait to show you what I've been up to....

No comments:

Post a Comment