Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Shetland Ponies in Cardigans!

THE cutest thing I've ever seen!!!!!  LOVE ITTTT!!!!  WANT ONE!!!!!!!!  Hugs to those CUTE ponies and to all of their talented people!!!!!!!!!

Go to www.hazeltindall.com then click on her wonderful blog, scroll down to the pony post (it's titled 'missed trip to New York').  Click on the post, then click on Shetland Ponies.

(Can you tell I've always LOVED Shetland ponies?  In the summer of 1986, I was working on a ranch in the Colorado Rockies as a wrangler.  We ran a string of geldings up into the high country near Long's Peak, Colorado's highest peak, every day with tourists aboard.  Left behind in the corral near the barn was this tiny little white pony named Sweetheart...you guessed it, she was a Shetland pony.  None of the other wranglers could handle her.  She bit people, stepped on people, was terribly hard to catch, and could throw out a swift kick if you passed by unawares.  But Sweetheart and I bonded.  I loved her!  She never bit me...not even once (or kicked me), always let me catch her, and as a result, I loved brushing her and caring for her.  She was delegated to me for the duration of the summer, and I loved every second of it!  She was very sweet!  She didn't like it when people treated her like a 'big' horse, and she didn't like that the barn's hay mangers were too big for her.  I understood that and found a way to put the world to her perspective, and she was very happy with that. One day, the boss told me to saddle her up for a little boy (a toddler, really) to ride.  With reserve and caution, I did what I was told.  The minute Sweetheart saw the little boy, she softened and turned into the gentlest, kindest pony I've ever seen.  She was very careful to not move her feet around or swat a fly on the boy's side with her tail.  She stood perfectly still when the boy petted her, and was slow and careful when he rode.  I saw in her a gentleness that is rare, and I loved her even more that day!  At the end of the summer, it broke my heart to leave her, for I had to move on with the next thing in my life.  I never did get to see her again, but I have photos of her stashed away in a box.  She was a very special pony that I've never forgotten.)

My DH knows...and is forewarned...that if a cute little white Shetland pony ever crosses my path...well...you know what will happen! lol  I'm just waiting for the day!

Have I also mentioned how much I admire Hazel Tindall's work?  I can only hope to aspire to be half as good a knitter as she is someday!  What a joy it is to see her knit in the videos!  I knit the same way, only not nearly as efficiently and graceful as she can! lol  Maybe someday I'll get there. I loved seeing the knitting belts on her blog, so be sure to check that out, too.  Oh, but the patterns!!!!!  They are amazing!  WAAANNNTT OONNNEE!!

Now combining knitting and ponies?  LOVE IT!!!!!!!!  Thank you to Hazel Tindall for posting these amazing photos of ponies, knitting belts, sheep, patterns, history, and things Shetland!

Later edit...again!...I forgot to mention that today Gwendolyn was taken outside with her twins for the first time.  I put the halter on her (she's been halter trained for years) and gently led her out the gate of the jug.  I have this wonderful fence panel system this year that is improved each year for jugs.  Previous years I had my lamb pens around the ewe loafing area in a circle on the outside, which was really nice for tending the new moms and interacting with the little lambs!  This year, I moved the ewe and lamb pens across the barn to a side that has better natural lighting, more security, less draft, and more peace.  Love it!  So anyway, I took Gwennie out and gently guided her out the door, being sure her little lambs learned to follow.  Once out in the sunshine (it was quiet and lovely outside this morning!), we walked down the 'runway' to some delicious grasses.  Little Peat was delighted and began boinging right away!  I stayed with them for another couple of hours as I needed to unhalter Gwennie and let them mingle with the other sheep and lambs on the pasture.  Plus, Peat and Chicory had to learn how to find their mum if lost, and how to respect the fence.  Moorwyn was VERY curious about his new playmates!  If Peat baaed for his mum, Moorwyn came a runnin'!  Silly lambs!  As the day progressed, I needed to get some spinning done, but had to check on the sheep every little while to make sure no one was caught in the fence.  Meanwhile, Goldie the farm clown (cat) watched while rolling around on the edge of the chicken coop roof!  SOMEDAY, he's gonna roll right off there!  That's how I spent my morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment