Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Sunny Spring Yarns from Claire

Popular Sellers!

It's a beautiful, bright, sunshiny day here on Wheely Wooly Farm so I just can't resist showing you some of Claire's bright, sunny spring yarns!  Claire is such a sweetie, with a personality as sunny as her bright yarns.  I sheared her about three weeks ago.  She gave me a bountious seven pounds of wool, not counting the stuff I never add to the keep pile after shearing.  (The yucky stuff never makes it to the skirting table.)

I can't show you a picture of her now, though!  Claire is such a sweetie, she's letting the little lambs play on her!  When she lays down to chew her cud, her ears bounce gently up and down, in rhythm to her jaw motion. As she's doing this, little Fair Isle and Starlight pretend she's a rock, leaping on and off her back.  Since Claire is much larger than a Shetland ewe, she makes for a wonderfully big rock, and little Shetlands are rock hoppers!  I am amazed, as I sit and watch this going on (with HUGE relief she's sheared!!!) that Claire is so tolerant and gentle with little lambs that aren't even hers.  As they teter on her back, butting each other off and leaping back on, she'll occassionally look back at them with gentleness in her eyes.  She doesn't seem to nose them off or try to get up, so I guess she's ok with all the goofiness.  She's a great ewe to have in the flock!

Meanwhile, I'm spinning her fleece right now and wow!  I'm amazed!  Living with a Shetland flock has been a good thing for Claire I guess!  Her wool is graded as a medium grade, nice but not the softest, yet that is not what I'm experiencing so far.  I thought her second fleece would be more like a medium grade, but it's much finer than that.  It's been a very pleasant spinning experience so far!

Hope you are enjoying this spring, sunshiny day!





No comments:

Post a Comment