Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gracie and Grass


There is one plant that I love so much, I'll lug it around with me over the years and moves...chives! It just seems to me that spring is not spring without the dayglow purple pompoms that brighten up any winter-weary soil. I love watching for the first bright green spikes growing out of a brown clump! They are so fragrant, I just stand in the garden, breathing deeply of the springy smell of oniony chives and longing for fresh salads. I use chives on salads, potatoes and of course, anything mexican!

So if I don't have any clumps, I plant seeds and make a line of chives in my garden, where ever I happen to be. I grow them, divide them, divide them and divide them. They are moved around a LOT as my whims guide me. Not sure why, but I LOVE chives!

Gwennie and Gracie have loved the spring grass. Gwennie is in great shape after nursing her lamb these last weeks, but Gracie was her only lamb. Gracie, meanwhile, has gained FAST! She is FAT! Her wool is long (yippee!) which makes her look even fatter! She is so social and sweet, we really love little Gracie.
We rotate the sheep around on the grass to keep them on clean ground. Works GREAT! You can see some are sheared, some not at the time of this picture. That is because I shear them myself and I don't do it all in one day. Gwennie will be sheared last, sometime in late June perhaps. As of today, most are sheared and done.

Thank you to those who responded to my request for Shetland lace patterns! I will have some fun things to look through now. I am soooooo anxious to begin spinning Wooly Bear, but NO! I must finish spinning the fleece I'm working on now...I haven't been dubbed "The Finisher" for nothing!

This weekend, I giddily began knitting on the Swallowtail shawl again. It is such a pleasant knit! I'm on the Lily of the Valley repeat, I think row 9. Row 2 has mistakes that I didn't realize I'd made until a few rows later (!) . Sometimes I'll carefully rip back and make things perfect. This time, even though it's lace, I decided the mistake wasn't too serious so I'll just continue on.

Hope all of you had a Memorial Day that wasn't too sad. Here in my state, we have many sad stories of young soldiers who gave their lives in this agonizingly long battle we are stuck in. One didn't even make it out of our country, and was gunned down by a fellow American at Fort Hood, TX. I'm confident I'll never forget the their stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment