Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Who Likes Rockhopping?!? :)

Baby Shetland sheep! We have had a smashing first lambing season here on Wheely Wooly Farm...well, sort of (giggle, giggle). Wooly Bear did a great job covering all his ewes! Every ewe put in with him lambed! If I was a meat producer, I'd be disappointed with the number of ewes that singled (all of those being first-timers), but since I am not a big meat producer, I am very, very happy to report that we had no deaths, no rejections, no thefts, no bottle lambs, and we got everything I was hoping for! Plus, all ewes lambed during the day!! Not bad for the first time around!! :)

The first lamb born was out of Sweetie; a little ram lamb. I was stunned at the lush, dense covering of wool he had!! Yippee!! There wasn't a speck of skin showing, and the locks have a beautiful curly/wave to them, are LONG! and oh so soft, with lots of cush!! He is a "solid" color (yippee!), with a pink tongue, so I will really enjoy spinning his fleece as he grows and lightens! Since this ewe belongs to Holly, and was the ewe she showed and won ribbons with, she got to name the lamb. So his name is Wheely Wooly Pumpkin! How perfect for Wooly Bear's first ram lamb, as pumpkins are Wooly Bear's FAVORITE treat!
This picture was taken in the jug a couple of hours after he was born. Sweetie has a wonderfully sweet temperment and took to motherhood immediately with love and gentleness. He was up and nursing in ten minutes!! So they didn't need to stay in the jug for more than a day or so. Then they were moved into a larger "play pen", (mixing pen as most know). Here, little Pumpkin found many interesting things!


Since these are Shetland sheep, and Shetlands come from very rocky terrain, the lambs need little lamby rocks! :) Boy, did that draw this little guy!!! He LOVES his little rock!! Countless times, he hops on and off, on and off, leaping straight up most times to launch himself off! But hopping on is equally fun. This is a very nice rock in that it has wavy texture to the top, so he doesn't skid off.

Then, there are hens to explore! Who are those ladies that scratch up all the straw?!? Why are they doing that??
Then, time to eat! Wait a minute! I'm not big enough yet!! Maybe if I pretend, I'll look all grown up, just like Mom!

Ok, back to my rock!! How fast can I race around my pen and leap up in the air before landing on my rock again?? I'm really good at it now and don't miss anymore!

Let's see how I can launch myself off this time! I wonder how high I can get? Notice my wool?? It is very dense, thick, and cushy, meaning my Mom got good nutrition and little stress when I was inside her! I'm nice and warm in these cool winds!

I'm so tired after all that rockhopping! But I just cannot give up my rock! I tried sleeping on top of it, but it was kinda hard, and I kinda rolled off. So I think I'll try snuggling next to it...ahhhh....I LOVE my rock! Sleep tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment