Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

567 m.p.h. Socks

How fast can you knit? I can knit 567 m.p.h.!  Well, not really!  As a shepherdess, I may be able to leave the farm, but I can't leave behind the sheep!  So of course, when packing to fly away, I had to pack some wool.  I decided to take that lovely Romney lavender yarn I bought from Yorkshire Rose Farm so that I could continue making my new socks.
 My 567 m.p.h. lavender socks...still not on the ground!

I decided they would be a great deviation from the sound of massive engines whirling away just outside the window...at 36,000 feet above my comfort zone.  I must confess...I had a wee bit of trouble concentrating!  It didn't take long for me to figure out that even though we were flying at remarkable speed through what remained of the atmosphere, my stitches were not following suit.  In fact, they were draggy....barely making it from one needle to the next.  The stitches were clean and of good gauge however.  Whew.  In two hours time, I think I progressed only three inches.  lol
 When I looked up from my 'fast' socks, this is what I saw.
Those cool screens told us how fast we were going, and what our altitude was.  Gulp.

So where did the shepherdess go?  Here's a hint:
lol...far, far, far away from the great midwest!

My 'fast' socks are finished now, and on my feet tonight.  How nice!  I think it's the first time my toes have been warm in days!  Good thing they are done, as cold air is here and expected to stay.  I wonder if they will make me a 'faster' spinner?...a 567 m.p.h. spinner?  lol  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment