Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013


A pleasant autumn scene

We are truly lucky to have the pleasures of wool!  If you look back in history, virtually no civilization has survived without sheep and goats, and the products these incredibly useful animals give us.  I love sheep because you can keep and enjoy them for years and years, yet still use the wool for warm clothing with incredibly high performance in the cold months, and up here in the north, that is very important!

This picture above is a scene from our booth a couple of years ago.  I love the autumn leaves and it's one of my favorite pictures, even though there wasn't much yarn left that day.  I love the natural colors of our sheep.  Sometimes I put natural colors together, sometimes I add in dyed colors, sometimes I use just one natural color and one dyed color.  The flower sets are popular additions to felted items, coats, purses, backpacks, hats, headbands, sweaters, and even mittens!  Wool is such a wonderful thing to design with, it is easy for me to understand why so many people are loving wool and rediscovering it.  

Today, I'm plying the Romney singles I had spun awhile back.  I also have several bobbins of singles from Iris's fleece to ply.  Iris is getting old, I hate to admit.  Yet her fleece, while not as soft as it was years ago, is still beautiful, and I think some of it might go into sales. 

Things are very quiet around here now, as the rams are in with the girls and everyone is incredibly peaceful.  It's a nice treat after the baas of spring lambs learning how to stick with the flock during daily movement.  This time of year brings lots of fat tummies from green summer grasses, bright and sparkly eyes, and lots of whirly chin action during contented cud chewing...and after the rain we had this past weekend, fuzzy, clean fleeces you can hardly resist touching!

Hope you are all enjoying this lovely autumn day!

No comments:

Post a Comment