Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The LATEST storm update!

Yet another storm has rolled through our area.  This time, our farm was barely hit.  Whew!  The rams stayed outside and were fine.  Wilbur was up and walking around when I pulled the curtains aside this morning.  He baaed like normal, to greet me as I stepped out the door.  Love that!  We did have strong winds and a little drifting, but only a little snow.  The water buckets had no ice on them this morning, as the air is mild...about 35 degrees F.  That always makes for a great day! :)

Unfortunately, our neighbors to the south and east were not so lucky.  As the storm moved in off Lake Michigan, a lake effect snow occurred.  The winds were up to 51 mph!  Fourteen inches of snow fell.  I heard the roads were terrible and that even tow trucks were getting stuck in the tight drifts.  I surely hope our shepherding friends over there have come out ok!

We really only have about three more weeks of this type of weather to worry about, before the air starts getting milder.  As we say around here about the month of March...'In like a lion, out like a lamb'!  While we are still a couple of days away from March, I'm sure many people in our state who live along the lakeshore will be seeing lions the next few days.

I have lots of catching up to do.  I've got more pictures of skeins of yarn to put up.  I want to come back to the concept of striving for restoration on the farm, and I have photos of farmhouse scenes for you!  These are not about my old farmhouse, but rather about what things look like around here as we go about our work raising sheep, collecting eggs, and raising a garden.  In the meantime, I'm spinning lots of fiber!  Right now, I'm working on a Shetland wether who's fiber is incredibly fun to put in the dyepot.  When I get it all spun and plied, it will be time for color...just in time for spring!  It will be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment