Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Friday, October 19, 2012

What a perfect day to...

 ...sit near a window and look out at the gorgeous foliage while knitting! (or spinning!)

I could sit near this window all day!  This is "Mary Maple", a favorite tree on our farm, and she's just outside our kitchen window.  I have a perfect knitting chair near this window, with perfect arms on it for knitting.  It keeps me sitting up nice and straight, comfortably knitting away in the brightness of natural, autumny daylight.   The finished part of my knitting keeps my lap warm, and I have a steaming cup of coffee nearby that smells oh so good!  It's so nice to take some time to enjoy the bright colors of the leaves.    Sometimes I get distracted from my stitches as I watch a leaf here and there flitter down to the ground.  The leaves are falling off much slower this year than they ever have before.  Most years, the leaves fall off in a waterfall, making a huge pile in just a couple of days.  For those of you who follow our farm blog, you might remember that I had best friends Maewyn and Posie grazing here last fall.  Remember how they watched for falling leaves, then competed over who'd get to it faster?  Silly girls.  Speaking of Maewyn, her fleece is on my wheel right now!  Stay tuned for future posts and I'll show you how it looks!

I'm ready for knitting!

So with the cool air we've had lately, and the steady rain showers, I've been busily getting my knitting projects all lined up.  The purplish yarn is a coarser yarn from a ball of roving I purchased, and the moorit yarn with the lovely highlights and heathering are from Maewyn's britch wool.  I was hoping to get a close enough match to make some really strong mittens that will last me a long time.  I never have enough time to make enough barn mittens for myself, so I'm hoping to remedy that this year.  And some years, my barn mittens get lost to other people who wish to have such warmth for themselves.  Once people experience how warm their hands CAN be, they WANT the wool!  

Are you ready for knitting?  When the cool weather settles in, are you like a squirrel, scurrying around searching for the patterns you want to knit up next?  I am! :)  Find your patterns, get your projects prioritized, and head on down to the market in the morning, where we will be waiting for you with many lovely yarns to choose from!  We'll have natural colors, dyed colors, and yarn of all gauges waiting to be knitted up into clothes you'll come to love, or feel proud to give away as special gifts!  Don't forget, due to the washout last weekend, we are still running our special of buy two skeins and get a crocheted flower of your choice FREE!  Just mention that you saw it here.  Also, don't forget to look for our new purple tent!

See you in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment