Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

GASP!! We have bud break!

I've never seen it before! Bud break in MARCH!! We have leaves popping out all over the place...lilacs, flowering trees, Cupcake (kitty) tree by Coopville, and even some fruit trees. Oh no!

Let's hope things go ok over the next several weeks temperature wise, so we don't lose so many landscape plants!

I found the cord for my camera so pictures will be coming along shortly...as soon as those batteries charge up good. I pruned the summer raspberries (shame on me for not getting that done last fall...) and fertilized them good after weeding under them. They are a new bed that is just getting established. The bad part is that it's not near Coopville like the fall bearing canes, so the hens do not think to weed it for me.

Meanwhile, watching the squirrel eat the newly minted maple leaves, I'm plying as much yarn as I can. It feels good to sit by the window and hear the birds while I spin. I've had lots of laundry out on the line as well, so the fragrance of that drifts into the window from time to time, too. How pleasant!

I've been enjoying my morning cup of coffee on the front porch without a jacket. Can you imagine that? The last several years, we still had vicious winter storms and frigid temps, with snow piled high. I shudder just thinking about it!...

Nature never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment