Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Wheely Wooly Cosmo's Fiber

Longish, wavy joy!!

Here are the photos of Cosmo's fleece. It's his lamb's fleece...he was a nearly black sheep before shearing, but after being sheared, he was a soft, light grey...seemingly white! His face and legs remain a beautiful black. Shetlands are SOOOO fun!


Color change!

Here, you can see the soft, light grey on the underside of his fiber. It's fine and soft. The two colors together make for a very interesting and appealing yarn! I know many of you are waiting for me to get this spun up, and I still hope to get that done by Saturday, but I'm not sure I can finish it by then. It might not be ready until next week, then.

It's so fun to work with the dynamics of Shetland color! I do like the dyed colors, too, but these natural colors are just amazing! We now have a little soft grey sheep out there!

Next! Today I'm shearing Gracelyn again, for I cannot WAIT to get her lovely fiber again! I sheared her last in February...a little too early but I really wanted her fiber. Since handshearing leaves the sheep with a lovely protective layer of wool to keep them warm, she did fine. Now, I can shear her again for more lovely spinning, and it's a beautiful warm day to do so. All of the yarn made with the last shearing is sold out except for one smaller skein left.

Happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment