Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Youth Classes show up in Shetland Showcase!

Example of outstanding youth achievement in Shetland knitting
Won first place, then Best In Show Outstanding Award
Winnebago County Fair
August, 2011

Yippeee!!! MSSBA FINALLY did something right! They FINALLY brought my youth classes into Shetland Showcase (which MSSBA stole and renamed), as I had originally designed when I created the whole program!!! I've had a very busy summer with the success of our farm business, and with local youth. I am just reading the catalog now! If you look in the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival Catalog on p. 43, you will see the layout as I had designed it...with youth classes in handspun skeins, as well as beginner and experienced adults, but with one exception. I had designed the program so that youth could enter youth categories for handmade (knitted/crocheted) items as well (that still seems to be missing...). Even experienced youth cannot compete with adults for youth do not have the fine motor skills adults have accomplished through simple daily living, among other things. The 18' doll poncho made by a nine year old above would have to compete with adults, and that's not only discouraging, it's not right! Maybe MSSBA can fix THIS mistake for next year.

As a youth educator, spinning and knitting teacher (adults and youth), and 4-H project leader in spinning and knitting for youth, and successful sheep farm business owner, I was soooooo disappointed that MSSBA cut out my youth activities last year, the first year they put my design of Shetland Showcase into action. I guess the MSSBA people realized (and came to their senses) that the original designer(me) knew what she was doing...and that if you (MSSBA) steal something, you may not know best how to implement something!

I know a lot of you out there are staying away (and have for years before our farm came along), but really, this is the time to trample the hostile people and get to the classes! Here is a great chance to reconnect fiber with textiles...which is EXACTLY what genuine Shetland wool is all about! Sign up for the handspinning skein competitions and bring your knitted/crocheted garments and such for judging!!! I guess it's too late to encourage all of you to make yarn and knitted items!! Wish I would have had time to look at the catalog sooner!! Details on page 43 of the catalog. Tell them Wheely Wooly Farm sent you!

Coming up next...wait 'til you see what Swifty has learned!

LATER EDIT!!! Oh my G....!!!!!!!! What on EARTH possesses people to be so aggressive? You MSSBA people should be absolutely horribly ASHAMED of yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our NASSA President is doing an outstanding job and has the support of the NATION! For the public out there that follows my blog, if you want to know what the Jefferson Shetland people are like, join the online groups!! You'll find out (and I know some of you already have!) what those people are REALLY like!

End of Edit






No comments:

Post a Comment