Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Crack up!

No time to post, really. But tonight, the rams were so silly, I just had to share! I was gone all afternoon so as dusk approached, I took SwiftySwifterSwift-O out for a nice mushygushysplishysploshy walk all around the farm. He chased sticks and sniffed old meadow mouse trails left in the remaining snowdrifts, delighted to just be running and stick-chasing. The robins were calling their spring evening warbles, the song sparrow was guarding it's new nesting site from us, and an owl was hooting out who's cooking tonight (not me!). The air was cool but fresh, and it was calm. As we approached the ram pen, I saw Wheely Wooly Wink leap HIGH! I saw pure spring delight in the boing of his little hooves, so I quickly began calling them all to my far end of their pen. A-runnin' they all came...leaping and twisting themselves in gleeful shapes! Then, the real playtime came! As I ran one way, they tore around the pen, as if all little lambs again, and the races were on!! Even WOOLY BEAR joined in the games!! I've never seen him so silly! He leaped, leaped, and leaped! They all tore around the pen looking like a bunch of bucking broncs! (While I ran around the outside looking like a very out of shape, silly @#$%^&, giggling and hoping I wouldn't fall in the mud!) As things settled down, they diverted to the famous sheepy prance. Now THAT is not very ram-like! There is nothing sillier than a serious ram, in all his horn and fleece glory, prancing like a little doe with hearts floating above their heads and hearts glowing, only instead, big horns floating up and down! Swifty joined in the fun and ran all around with his stick in his mouth. When everyone finally ran themselves out, they all stood around panting. (I was hoping all my neighbors were cozied up in their houses and not watching me in my own silliness...)

SILLY SHEEP!!silly me!

No comments:

Post a Comment