Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Crash!

Today, I was out in the barn doing general upkeep and trimming hooves, taking fun pictures of very cute woollies and such. The sun was shining bright so I let the hens out for the first time in awhile, for we've had a pretty good cold snap...temps down to -17 degrees last night (and I was out trimming hooves!)...anyway, I decided to open the big door so the hens could enjoy a sunny warm up. Delighting in watching them happily cluck and peck at treats in the warm sunshine, I started walking on to the next thing I wanted to do when CCCCRRRRAAAASSSSSAHHHHHHH!!!!!! I heard this HUGE, HORRIBLE crashing sound! My first thought was something fell off someone's truck and shattered on the hard, very frozen road! I went tearing out of the barn to look when I saw it! Two vehicles had crashed together and were slammed into a snowbank in my front yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing was moving....not a sound! I started running up the driveway, and I remember hearing myself say over and over something! One vehicle was smashed bad on the driver's side....I'll never forget my thoughts as I ran through the deep snow of our front yard to check on the passengers, senses heightened to smell gas or anything!!! What would I find inside??? As I approached the very quiet, very still, crashed vehicles, I saw the passenger window was not there. I saw someone sitting in the driver's seat...and I asked if they were ok when suddenly I saw two booted feet started coming through and I could hear someone crying!!!! Oh.....!

I helped the person climb out, who looked ok despite the major damage to the vehicle!!! As she climbed out, I took her hand and steadied her, then lead her away from the crash....she was shaking and I wasn't sure of her injuries, or the safety of her crashed vehicle. The driver of the other vehicle came around, and said he was ok thankfully!!!! Well, to make a long story short, turns out both drivers seemed ok, and were the only people in their cars. The woman was very worried though for her dog was in her crashed vehicle. I asked both their names, then helped them make the right calls (both seemed dazed) and making sure she wasn't going to pass out, I went to check on the dog, for it seemed safe to do so. Shock!!!!!!!! I stuck my head in the window and saw THE LARGEST, CUTEST Great Dane I've ever seen!!! And he seemed fine, just blinked at me...patiently waiting for whatever comes next in a nice sit (maybe he was dazed, too?)!! No blood or anything. Everyone turned out ok in the end and I had them come in the farmhouse to warm up in between things, including that very large, VERY CUTE, very nicely behaved dog! (Ok...I think Swifty thought I brought Calypso into the house for he barked a very funny bark when he saw that big friendly fella who stood taller than my desk lamp!) I ended up being outside for a near continuous stretch from noon to four in the afternoon, and it was only 9 degrees out with a freezing breeze. THANK YOU Lil' Rainbow, for keeping my toes so nice and warm through the whole thing, that I never once thought of my feet out there!!! And THANK YOU LORD that everyone is ok tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment