Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

More Pretty Yarns!

I love to spin sooo much, I'll spin nearly anything! In fact, I must confess, I've even eyeballed the fuzzy cows across the fence......here cowcowcow...

...once. Ok, ok, sticking to sheep's wool is pretty much what I do, but I have spun lots of angora bunny wool, dog fur, and mohair. I've tried llama. Didn't like it. I've spun alpaca. It's ok, but I don't like that it has no memory and drapes more and more, not keeping it's shape. Sheep's wool has nice memory and will return to shape when washed, if reshaping is ever needed.

Below is some pretty merino wool I spun recently. I like calling the dyed color hyacinth. It's really different from my Shetlands! That reminds me...one day a visitor to my booth came up to us and told us they once had Shetlands, but got rid of them. Why, I

Summer Morning Glories by the chicken coop

asked? Well, she said they shear their sheep themselves, and dreaded all the wrinkles in the Shetland's skin!!!! WHAT??? Shetlands don't have wrinkles, but merinos do! She was sure surprised! I hope I inspired them to try Shetlands again.

Pretty hyacinths

I also spin a lot of Coopworth. It's a very different experience than spinning Shetland, but I like it anyways. This yarn was blue-ish pink and is sold. The yarn was very, very pretty!Handspun Blue-ish Pink Coopworth yarn

Here again is Wheely Wooly Lerwick, walking into the barn one fall day. I just LOVE his fleece! It's so long and soft and fine and wavy! I really hope he comes through and gives us lambs this spring.
In the meantime, the "Statue of Knittery" has returned!


I'm knitting a lot! I was super intimidated at what to make with Wooly Bear's yarn that I spun last spring, right after I sheared him. I wanted to make a pretty lace scarf with it, but didn't know what pattern to choose. Summer and fall would be so busy, I knew I'd need to wait until the quiet of winter to focus on it again. With that time here now, I've taken out the yarn and pondered lace patterns. Stay tuned to find out what I decided, and how it looks!

No comments:

Post a Comment