Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

I don't blame them.....

I really don't blame them! I can understand why school children in the Shetland Islands are no longer being taught knitting techniques in school. SAD!!! no doubt, and a terrible cultural tragedy, but I can certainly understand why! Here in America, we play with our sheep's fiber in liberty and freedom. We are allowed to try, explore, discover what Shetland people have perfected for centuries (it's gonna take me YEARS to "catch up", if that's ever even possible!). It's fun for us. But Shetlanders know realities we cannot really comprehend. Those realities are still so fresh, but I hope that with the infiltration of money into the area's culture in modern times, the people there can come to grips with their cultural treasure and keep it going! As an American far, far away, I can only beg them to find the money! I know I cannot really understand....but I'm gonna beg anyway! Please! Restore knitting to your schools! (would it help to know I'm a professional educator?)

Below is a picture of Lil' Rainbow's finished socks. I crocheted a picot edge around the top of the cuffs loosely, to retain elasticity. Pretty! Then, as soon as the picture taking was done, they were on my feet and I was out the door! Heaven! Warmth! Cush! Lovely! I'm so glad to have them!

Lil' Rainbow's socks with crocheted flower and crocheted picot edge

Notice how the white fades on a darker background? I absolutely love the color dynamics of Shetland fiber! Each sheep changes year to year. Each fleece is different as the colors change, giving the spinner a wealth of color to play with on the wheel! I'm most entertained with how the colors so amazingly pair together. Entertains me for hours! (I'm sorry, but I know I'm the queen of exclamation points!!)

For those of you who know us and correspond with us on our family email, please note our address has changed this week. You can reach us by emailing us for the time being at wheelywooly@gmail.com. And one last thing...hey Corey K.! If you're on, give us an email! We'd LOVE to hear from you!

And yes, Carumba is still a possible sale and is as pretty as always. She's having a good winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment