Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Where'd I go??

Pouring Rain

A Rainbow!

Oh, here I am! Wow! What a busy ten days we've had! Farm markets, family, hay, the 4th, travel, parade floats, and other things...whew!!Life is good!

The sheep enjoy being rotated around. On hot days, they get trees for shade. Sweetie is nibbling on the leaves while Gracie the lamb looks on with her own mouth full!


To market, to market....

We've had busy market days! It is always a joy to visit with people in our booth and sharing about sheep and projects! We hope you enjoy the scarves, mittens, and shawls some of you will be working on in the weeks to come! We also sold some lovely gift yarns. Someone is going to get really lucky when they get those skeins! People around here are going to be much warmer this coming winter...with style! Don't forget that Shetland yarns make such cozy socks, you won't want to take them off! Check the right side of my blog to find the link to the Yankee knitter! On her website, you'll find a wonderful, easy to read sock pattern that is an excellent starting point.
Cup of tea anyone?

Our 4-H club worked very, very hard on this ambitious float for our community's Fourth of July parade! The kids worked HARD!! We are very proud to be a part of this group (we chaired the float committee), and don't mind bragging just a bit on how focused these kids were, and how hard they worked to make this float a reality. The tea cups mimicked the spinning teacup ride at the county fair. Our tea cups turned, too, while kids rode in them! Oh yeah, and riding on it was fun, too!!! Some kids wanted to help throw candy this year. I'm tellin' ya...we have some real "go-getters" in our club!! In fact, their hard work earned them second place in a zillion entries!! How fun it was to work with so many nice kids! It was surely a great day that will be special as long as I can remember it! What a great way to celebrate our nation's birthday!
The farm is in bloom everywhere, even though I haven't had much time for flowers this year. We have single hollyhocks...
...lovely daylilies that glisten in the sun...

...and ruffly pink double hollyhocks under the purple wren house (filled with twigs from Mr. Wren).


...and of course, ruffly lambs! Gracie and Pumpkin have fleece that gets noticed! It is FINE! (...oh boyohboyohboyohboy...can't wait to spin this up!!)

I also had the privilege lately to get on high speed internet service and swirl around in old photo archives of Shetland women knitting. FUN! Wait, let me say that again...FUN!!!!!! In every photo I could find, the yarn was thick, and the working yarn came up through the right hand. This fascinated me! I studied each photo carefully, mesmerized. The bobbins were small, the wheels were off to the side of the spinner, and kitties were everywhere. My favorite, which cracked me up so much I disturbed my neighbors and had to call over my family, was the one with the women walking along the road, knitting, while their Shetland ponies walked slightly behind them, carrying their supplies. The info. on the photo said the women were walking to Lerwick for supplies. The knitting never stopped, even with a pony's lead rope slung over your arm. I'm going to try that myself!! One of these days, I'm going to get Calipso out and try knitting while taking him for a walk down the road. Let's see...I take him for walks frequently anyways....and I knit a lot.....so this should be simple....right? (giggle, giggle!!) I'll let you know how we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment