Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Whew!

Busy, busy, busy! Working with my knitting students was quite a rush today! Fun!! People often say teachers give so much of themselves to help others, but I think teachers get way more in return! I love to see my students grow in their skills, or accomplish something that excites them. I love to see the reactions when they accomplish something they weren't sure they could do. Good teaching brings many smiles and laughter. It always makes my day!!

With this being lambing time, I always think of others who are lambing out their flocks. Last year's weather in my region was absolutely horrible! I tried hard not to think of all the little lambs affected by that. This year is such a treat! The weather is much better so not much to worry about. So, of course, my worries go to the Shetland Islands themselves. What was their forecast today? Let's see, how many ways can you describe rain, mist, showers, moving in, moving by, brightening up, darkening, and winter showers? The sheep on the Shetland Islands don't get much of a break for lambing...

No comments:

Post a Comment