Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

International Show Your Shawl Day May 1st!

Spread the word! May 1st is the first annual International Show Your Shawl Day! Spinners and knitters around the world, take out those beautiful shawls you've worked so hard on and wear them around for the public to admire!

I am a teacher and I LOVE encouraging people to pursue their interests and find joy in what they do. Wheely Wooly Farm strives to encourage those who love sheep and fiber arts, even if that is not always an easy task. Over the years, I have enjoyed viewing stunning pictures of shawls made by people around the world. These shawls were made in an amazing array of patterns, shapes, textures, fibers, and colors! However, when I leave my farm to go about my day, I seldom see anyone wearing a shawl. Pondering this last year, I decided I wanted to try doing something. It seems we fiber artists work so hard on creating these lovely garments, but then tuck them carefully back into storage, don mass-produced clothes, and return to living our lives looking like everyone else. It sure would be fun to see all these shawls come out of storage, and see the sun! Let's support one another in wearing our creations and wowing the world!

So we here at Wheely Wooly Farm are encouraging everyone to take your lovely shawls out of storage, put them on, and proudly wear them for the day on May 1, 2010! Spring is such a great time for new beginnings like this. The weather can be cool as the ground warms up, and the sunshine is bright. No matter the weather, come sun or rain, a shawl in spring is the perfect garment to wear. For those of you in the southern hemisphere, enjoy wearing your shawls on a fall day. If you cannot wear a shawl because of your work, put a picture of your shawl up on a blog, facebook, or youtube for the day. Let's bring these lovely garments out of hiding collectively and enjoy the day admiring everyone's efforts and hard work!! Please spread the word! Pass this blog entry around! Tell your friends! We hope everyone will have fun doing this! So get your shawls ready for the first annual International Show Your Shawl Day on May 1, 2010!!

2 comments:

  1. I for one, where my shawls all the time! I much prefer throwing a shawl around my shoulders than having to put my arms into a coat. I use narrow shawls as scarves and have various weights so that I have shawls for all seasons!

    Keep spreading the word!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Nancy! I, too, wear narrow shawls as scarves! Have you started on socks yet? :)

    ReplyDelete