Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Love

We made it! It's always a treat to see February 1st come around! February is the month where hearts are floating around everywhere you look. This is what I see over my sheep everyday...

Sorry, but I couldn't resist it! This is little Honey. She's a purebred, registered Shetland lamb. She is just the sweetest little ewe lamb! She frequently comes over for chin scratches. I think she can leap higher and more often than any other sheep I've known. She has these little Tigger-springs in her hooves that take her straight UP without warning! Sometimes I run around near the fence, which gets all the sheep leaping and springing to play along with me...shepherdess fun! (Who needs a health club :) (WARNING: Wait until neighbors have departed for the day before attempting this activity.)

Now the days are getting longer by over 2 minutes a day. That means we are gaining 17-18 minutes of sunlight EACH WEEK! Woooohoooo!
That translates into longer knitting time by the window. I'm working on a sweater to give someone. The body of the sweater is all knit up, as well as one sleeve. This is the second sleeve. The cuff has a garter stitch edge and the sweater is knit in plain stockinette. (This is what the recipient picked out). The pink needles are made out of plastic (gasp!!) but I knit with them because they were my Grandmother's. My preferred needle is made out of wood, but I enjoy knitting on any kind of needles. In this picture, the garter stitch edge is covered over by a sampling of crochet I did with a singles Shetland yarn remnant. I LOVE crocheting those scallops and wavy edges, and flowers, too! I laid the edging over the garter stitch cuff just to play around and see how it would look, but it won't be on the sweater. The yarn from this sweater, is from our ewe, Sweetie (see prior blogs). I sheared her myself, then skirted and washed the fleece, then spun up the yarn on my wheel. I've already made a hat, some mittens, and a pair of socks from this same fleece, and now this sweater. FUN! I love my sheep!

No comments:

Post a Comment