Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Peachy Carumba


Well, this isn't about sheep. I just cannot resist sharing about my peach tree. It produced a sweet harvest of many, many little peaches this year. The horse in the background is my Andalusian cross mare. I'd like to sell her so her talent won't go to waste. It's hard to let her go as I really love her and what we've done together as a team. She advanced my riding skills considerably from mountain trail rider and pack outfitter (where the only sideways movement is around an open gate) to highly skilled lateral movements, engaging the hind quarters, lifting the forehand for lightness, riding without reins, and spinning...of the horsey kind. I neglect to keep up the advertising so here she still is...neighing twice a day for our time together.



Okay, back to peaches.

We picked, washed, sliced and froze most of them yesterday. There are now two large bags of peach slices in the freezer waiting to go in the blender for delicious hot summer day smoothies. I've also been washing fleeces this week. Watch for my next blog to see how I do that, and for pictures of piles of fleece screaming to be spun!

No comments:

Post a Comment