Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

I went over the edge....

...and what fun I've had!!

So what does one do when spring is late, the snow is deep, and the ol' sweater is treasured??  Go over the edge!  This sweater has become a treasured piece of clothing for someone.  It gets worn A LOT here on the farm, to the markets, and to sheepy events.  It's two years old now...or more...I forget.  I made it out of wool I sheared off our purebred Shetland ewe, Sweetie.  Her wool is pretty white.  Then, after preparing it, I spun it up, and knitted this rather simple sweater for someone who wanted warmth when outside ALL the time, even when playing...or catching lambs...or chasing a wayward hen...or pulling carrots...or hunting for eggs...or running with the dogs...or...you get the idea!  It's well loved, well worn, and well...washed A LOT!

Yet look at it today!  It still looks great!  Except, it was just plain ol' white, with pink buttons (which I hid here for the picture).  I had always wanted to embellish it, and I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but with so many things to keep me busy around here, and the fact that this particular sweater is frequently flying all around the farm...it never got done.  Until now, that is!  What did I do?  I crocheted over the edge!  Fun!  The blue yarn has sparkles in it.  It was the choice of the garment's owner...a pretty spring sky blue.  So I added it to the ends of the sleeves and along the waistline.  One of the nice things about designing and constructing your own clothes is that you can make them perfectly suitable for your liking.  This wearer doesn't like bulk around the neckline, so we kept the blue to the cuffs and waistline.

If you ever feel winter is too long, you should learn to work with wool, if you haven't already!  If you know how to knit, learn to crochet, too.  The two styles of designing garments with yarn are endless fun.  They mix so nicely, bringing new design capabilities for very little work.  I hope this sweater's freshing up will inspire you to learn a new skill.  How about looking up a new border or a new stitch in a knitting or crocheting dictionary?  How about making a new garment that you've never made before, just to learn a new technique?  How about searching the web for a new, interesting technique?  If you learned a new technique once a month, even if just for the winter months, just think of the new ideas you could pursue, new things you could make, and new fun you could have!

I seriously have to wonder...how did our culture ever move away from wool???!!!???  I can't believe what we had been missing in those synthetic years!  Get wool, have fun, and be warm!! :)

(This message brought to you be Wheely Wooly Farm...Where Warmth Comes Naturally!  Find us on Etsy!)



No comments:

Post a Comment