Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

My Tam from NASSA Newsletter

 Cute!

This was a fun project!  If you know how to knit in the round, this is a nice project to make. The pattern writer in the article (NASSA News Vol. 22, issue 2, Spring-April 2012, p. 29) had selected fiber from a Shetland lamb with greys and blacks in it's fleece.  I just happen to have yarn spun by me from a very similar lamb.  The fiber was black-tipped, with varying shades of grey throughout, so I used it for this project.  This lamb is not from our flock.

I changed the type if increase to make in the tam, just after the ribbing.  Well, that's me!  I do tweak things around a lot...call it creativity I guess.  Another change I made was the addition of the crocheted flower in a lovely color on top of the tam, rather than the pom that is more traditional.  I just hand stitched that on, near the end of the petals so that the petals will always lay down nice.  For added fun, I could add a grey or white pom in the middle of the flower, or perhaps a flower made from the same grey yarn as the hat...double stacked and graduated smaller...or another idea that would be fun is some kind of button or something in the middle of the flower.  Knitting is so much fun, because you can do so much with it!  
The top, where the decreases are made, shows a nice swirl.  I don't have those lovely color stripes on my tam that the author of the NASSA article had because I work to even out the colors as they draft into my yarn.  Sometimes though, letting an area of black or something dominate the yarn for a few yards does create a lovely, unique stripe affect in hats or socks, giving the garment a real unique, one-of-a-kind look.  Sometimes, I like that, too.

It didn't take long to do the knitting on this hat, but I had been stalled out by not having the size 5 double point needles I needed to finish.  Once I had them, it only took maybe 20 more minutes to finish.  Then, I blocked the hat and let it dry on a screen.

Hope you enjoyed seeing my NASSA tam!  If you join NASSA (North American Shetland Sheepbreeders Association), you can get the newsletter and make a tam like this, too!  Hope you find this project inspiring and good luck with making your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment