Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Meet Wheely Wooly Fair Isle!

Meet the latest little lamb to arrive on our farm! This is Wheely Wooly Fair Isle! It's not a very good picture, but at least I managed to get my camera working long enough to snap something (and he doesn't hold still much!)
Wheely Wooly Fair Isle
born April 27th
He's got his Mom's ears and his sire's bright face...

I had wanted to name a ram lamb Fair Isle, after a very famous island in the Shetland Islands last year and the style of knitting that was made famous by the women who lived there. When my ewe Mona had twins, one being a ram lamb, I knew his name was gonna be 'Fair Isle', but fate has other ideas! Mona had her twins just as a very strong storm had blown in last year...then moments later, the tornado sirens went off in town nearby, sending us all into a tizzy! We had guests here that day, and in the whirlwind of the winds, torrential rains, tornado, and our own excitement at seeing two very cute little lambs, one of our guests asked if the little ram lamb could be named "Whirlwind", or "Whirly" for short. So we obliged and our guest had a special moment to remember. Turns out, "Whirly" was the perfect name for that little fellow as he was very playful and loved leaping into the air and whirling around. (His twin sister is Maewyn, THE most playful, leapy, hoppy, goofy, happy sheep on our farm. Today, Maewyn, a yearling lambsitter, played on a mound with little Moonlight and Starlight so the mom's could rest nearby.)

So now, here I am, seeking a new ram to get the name 'Fair Isle' and here he is! I love his coloring, even though I'm not certain how he'll fade up, but I'm pretty confident he'll fade. Fair Isle knitting used so much of the moorits, muskets, and all the shades of browns to creams or white/gray that I think this little guy is aptly named! He was a very strong little lamb, getting up within moments of birth. He's also independent and not afraid to go exploring! Mom, Mona, will be very busy in the days to come!!! (His sire is Wooly Bear) She's up to the task as usual, and is a great mom. Both Mona and Wooly Bear have wonderful temperments, so we aren't surprised that he is showing likeness already!

Knitting lace for fun

I do enjoy the rhythm of knitting lace. This one was knitted on circular needles and was a joy to work on. I did it quite a while back so I don't remember all the details, and I can easily pick out a mistake or two. This is not blocked or anything, and I wear it a lot on super cold nights, under my down coat's hood. TOASTY warm! I hate taking it off! I'd in fact, love a whole blanket knitted like this. The wool is from my ewe, Honey: sheared, washed, carded, spun, and knitted by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment