Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles

Shetland Sheep: Rich in History, Rich in Textiles! Our farm mission is to enjoy and promote the wonderful diversity of the Shetland breed by fully utilizing to the best of our ability all they have to offer historically. We believe the best preservation and management of this breed includes it's full spectrum of history. We encourage old and new shepherds alike to join in the fun by engaging in fiber arts, especially spinning and knitting, as this breed is so intimately linked with those aspects of the arts.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Not EVERYONE'S sick of the snow...

Winter is not going to fade early here on Wheely Wooly Farm this year! Sigh....but it's been pretty. The cardinals have been around for weeks, but have been absolutely silent. Each day I wait to hear that sound of pure delight, of the male calling his spring call. But each day, as the sun sets, I head to the house with disappointment at knowing I'll have to wait another day.

Meanwhile, the little wren's house sits empty. He is usually here, checking things out by now. He comes back every year, and if I don't have his little summer cottage ready for him, he sits on a branch by the front porch and scolds me through the window. After checking that I've not forgotten him and his summer quarters, he flies away again, not to be seen for a few more weeks. Then, one warm, bright, breezy spring morning, his call will be heard at sunrise, just outside my window, letting me know he's back and ready to show off his cottage to the females.





While I may be tiring of winter, little Swifty sure isn't! Each fresh snow we get (and that's been OFTEN!), Swifty heads out the door with boundless energy and excitement! It's a joy to watch him stretch out and run as fast as he can! He races effortlessly all around the farm, sails over drifts, bounds into deep snow and digs just for fun.
Shoveling becomes a real challenge, for he chases the snow that flies off the shovel and snaps at it! Sigh....
One little whistle and he comes a runnin'!


Wait a minute! THAT'S not Swifty! All this snow has not been good for cute little ponies. The drifts have been so deep, he's been getting stuck. So he created little walking paths that he just stands around on all day, not daring to go into any unpathed places. The path he's standing on here is elevated off the ground about two feet. Two days ago, he tried to lay down and roll. I didn't see it, but he clearly rolled OFF the path, right into the deep snow and got stuck! He must have been there awhile, for I could see where he was kicking with his feet, while laying on his side, to right himself. By the time I was out there again, he was standing there, on his path, looking at me with that adorable white snip on his nose, as if nothing had happened. I wish he could tell me his story! So I just hung around and gave him his favorite scratches for awhile instead.
So we're still waiting for even the finches and mourning doves to call spring notes. Pleeeeaaaassseee trumpet spring pretty soon!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment